Super Single Mom Moments

Whether your going to school, college or working everyday you will find yourself doing something incredible because you are a single mom. I call those Super Single Mom Moments!



Friday, May 7, 2010

Just Call me Mamma Grad!

As my school days come to a end I can't help but think of the long hard road that brought me here. I started Owens right out of high school and continued for 3 years before I got pregnant with my first child. I took time off and said I'd go back soon. I worked in factories and then Wal-Mart in the mean time.

I had just had my second child when a few friends of mine took myself and another girl out for mothers day. As we talked to catch up I sat there listening to him talk about living in Germany for two years, a year n New York and now living on the beach with his brother in Florida I expressed my adoration for his courage and success. He looked at me and said, "What's stopping you?" As I stared to make my excuses he shook his head and he told me if wanted something to do it.

I thought about his words for a week and then I realize, the only thing holding me back was myself. I signed up for classes and began my collegiate path again.

I learned of programs such as FASFA that would be able to help me be able to afford school. Friends told me of child care assistance that enabled me to afford childcare. Government programs such as HEAP helped to keep my utilities working.There are organizations such as churches and The Salvation Army can help also.

However; it was I who worked hard to earn the grades and pass the courses I did, with the help and understanding of many professors who really cheered me on as I struggled but overcame and finished.

On Saturday, May 8th I will walk with my fellow Public Relations friends as we receive our Bachelors of Science in Journalism/Public Relations with a minor in Sociology. In the audience my mom and dad will see the first of all their children receive a college diploma. My sister, aunt and most importantly my 10 year old daughter will be watching also, and cheering me on.

Super Single Mom Moment: Pat yourself on the back for your accomplishments, you earned them!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'm proud of you :) Single mothers can accomplish anything!!

    ReplyDelete