Super Single Mom Moments

Whether your going to school, college or working everyday you will find yourself doing something incredible because you are a single mom. I call those Super Single Mom Moments!



Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's a Valentines Day party, open up the drawbridge, let in the candy

Valentines Boxes and Valentines Cards are a tradition for elementary school Valentines parties. A couple days before, parents and children would mold together a small box or envelope to hold their cards that they made to give the other students. As with many of the holidays, Valentines Day and it's traditions has been commercialized.

Most single mom households and even two parent households don't take the time to make cards anymore. This year I noticed the stores even had boxes you could buy. Squashing all the fun and creativity out of the tradition.

This year we decided not to buy any of the pre-made stuff for my daughter Raven's Valentines "kit". Her father worked for two weeks designing and building her "box". Her grandmother, my mother, printed out cards that they colored during the two snow days we had this week.

The result was a very happy 10-year-old.

Her father spent some money and worked hard but ultimately he said the look on Raven and her classmates' faces was worth it. "Castle Raven" has a center building that opens up for her to insert her cards and holds candy to give her classmates. It also includes a scroll hidden under the "grass" marked by an X. The scroll gives a hint to where other candy is hidden.

As a single mother something like this seemed impossible for me to do. Every year I bought the standard cards and covered a shoe box in tissue paper. I would see other parents/moms bringing in more elaborate boxes and feel like I was letting my daughter down.

This year I did two things that are very hard for me to do. I asked for help and relinquished control. I realized I didn't have the time to do what I wanted for my daughter and saw the opportunity to get her father more involved in these types of events in her life. I also realized that I needed to utilize my support system. My support system consists of my parents, my siblings and a few of my very understanding and supportive friends. They are my lifelines!

Super Single Mom Moment? Asking for help and Relinquishing Control!

1 comment: