Super Single Mom Moments

Whether your going to school, college or working everyday you will find yourself doing something incredible because you are a single mom. I call those Super Single Mom Moments!



Thursday, February 18, 2010

Food Stamps, now Food Assistance = Support for Single Moms


Being a single mother in College I rely upon my support system and programs to help me provide some of the basic necisities to my children. One such program I utilize is Food Stamps. Those who have utilized this know how essential it can be sometimes.


Many feel a stigma attatched to utilizing this program. "Once Stigmatized, food Stamps find Acceptance" an article in the New York Times discusses the growing acceptance of Food Stamps. I agree that because of the new card there is less stigma and fraud and a lot easier to use at the stores.

Many stores are concerned with time and getting as many people through the registers as possible. Many Food Stamp users are buisy and don't want to be held at the register for a long time and so the card makes it easier for all.

If this is not a program you are utilizing you may want to apply. According to the Ohio Job and Family Services (OJFS) website you can apply for Food Assistance, formally Food Stamps by filling out an application form found on thier website, contacting your local JFS or filing an applicant through your local Ohio Benefit Bank site. The website explains the guidelines and documents needed to apply.


Although it may feel like a hastle to apply and continually recertifying Food Assistance can be one less thing a single mother has to worry about for thier children. In my opinion there is no shame in providing food for your child. If you can not do this on your salery or if you are going to school and currently do not have a salery Food Assistance most likely is a necsisty.


Super Single Mom Moment: Putting asside political belif and fear of social stigma to provide food for your children!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think in this time of economic hardship for a lot of people, food stamp/WIC programs are very helpful, and it is wrong to assume that people who use them become dependent upon them. I know my family had to rely on them when my father was between jobs, and they really helped bridge the gap to help us make it.

    My only complaint? I hate when cash registers, especially the U-Scan machines at places like Kroger, will proclaim loudly PLEASE SCAN YOUR FOOD STAMP CARD NOW. I don't think there should be a stigma attached to food stamps, but I don't think people necessarily want the entire store to know they use them!

    ReplyDelete